View Single Post
Old 05-12-2022, 02:33 PM
Tony Gordon

I have had a front-row seat to the recent hobby evolution as I have been setting up at local card shows just about every weekend for the past 25 years. I have been attending card shows since 1978.

I really have no issues with the new breed of sports card hobbyists. I find them very intelligent, extremely knowledgeable about modern cards, friendly, passionate and interesting.

Some of my observations: basketball is king. They want rookie cards, not necessarily slabbed cards. They all have a personal collection or "PC." Each PC seems to be unique to that collector. They vlog about everything and post regularly to Instagram. They have taken trading to new levels. They are masters at negotiating. They all have some sort of briefcase. Many have some of the worst hairdos I have ever seen... which is really saying something since I grew up in the 1970's.

Used to be that I could set up at any card show with my post-War commons and have flocks of set builders at my tables -- not anymore. I really have to pick and choose which shows I attend because the set builders only go to a handful of shows these days.

The new breed will stop and marvel at my stuff but they rarely purchase anything. I am starting to feel like an outcast, a relic. But I still enjoy it and regularly sell and buy enough cards to make it worth my while.

The thing I enjoy most about the new breed are their vlogs. I spend countless hours on YouTube watching vlogs from card shows. I just love it and can always spot my bald head in a few of the vlogs.

Many of these vloggers are great characters and have created their own culture around their vlogs. For example, there is a modern collector/dealer/vlogger out of Ohio, he looks to be in his late-20's. He goes to shows all over the country each weekend. At each show, in each vlog, he is met by other new-age collectors who give him cards and other memorabilia for his Ohio State PC. I mean, he can't go five minutes at a show, no matter where that show is located, without some random person walking up to him and giving him a card depicting an athlete who played college ball at Ohio State. It is remarkable to watch.

Yes, the hobby has evolved. I recommend you just go with it and enjoy it. I'm still having a lot of fun. I'm setting up at two shows this weekend!