View Single Post
Old 05-12-2022, 11:47 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordfest View Post
It would be much easier to respect the older generation if so many of them at shows didn't act like I was easy pickings! LOL On here, there are many people like you who are more fatherly and willing to share their expertise.

In the real world, I tend to have much better experiences with younger dealers. A lot of the old guys get dollar signs in their eyes when they find out I'm new with valuable cards. It's just evident in their body language and it makes me distrustful. Most of the younger guard is far more transparent about why they will offer a certain dollar amount for a card or lot and act less like used car salesmen. That's how it has been in my, admittedly limited, experience at least.
I hear you Brandon, that is why I said it goes both ways. There is good, and not so good on both sides. And trust me, when I was younger, I had older dealers treat me basically the same as you described. LOL Still get treated the same occasionally from some dealers online who can't tell how young or old you are. They just assume they are a dealer, and therefore they figure they know more than you. I just try to ignore them. Most people are good, young and old, but the younger generations are being brought up and taught much differently than Baby Boomers and older generations were.

There will always be a fan base for the major US sports, which should be enough to keep the sports card hobby around and going strong for longer than either of us can likely imagine. It has changed a lot over the past few decades, and will continue to do in the decades to come. But the vintage side will be okay. Regardless of how newer generations are brought up, people are people, and many people like to collect, and have that collecting bug that infects so many of us on this forum. When you combine all the history of the game and the stories behind the players, there should be more than enough to entice a sufficient number of the younger generations to carry things on.

Good luck, and good collecting to you.