View Single Post
Old 05-14-2022, 05:49 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

Default Overrated/Underrated/Favorite/Least Favourite Singles

I started a similar thread about a year ago about baseball card sets. I thought it would be fun to put a new twist on the theme, and start a thread for singles. The concept is self-explanatory (I hope). I tried to stick to popular cards in the hobby, but feel free to use any cards you want. Here's my personal list:

Overrated - t206 Ty Cobb red portrait. It's a super print, so there are thousands out there. It's a direct rip-off of the green portrait, which is a much better looking (and tougher) card.

Underrated - 1933 DeLong Lou Gehrig. There are probably less than 500 in existence (compared to over 4000 1933 Goudey Gehrigs), and it is a simply gorgeous card. The combination of player and scarcity should make this Lou's most valuable card.

Favorite - I could easily use the DeLong Gehrig again, but I'll change it up and go with the 1952 Topps Jackie Robinson. Iconic card, iconic player, iconic set. I think this is Jackie's best card, and I think it's more visually striking than the Mantle from the same set.

Least Favourite - 1940 Play Ball Joe Jackson. Strike one - black and white card. Strike two - not a playing days card. Strike three - historically overrated player*

* Don't beat me up Jackson fans, I don't actually believe that, but I can't call the card out on just two strikes.