View Single Post
Old 06-02-2022, 12:35 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
See your next point where you say pro-life has been co-opted by people who do not support abortion (generally, this is the right). Get the little joke now?
Hmm, I guess some people shouldn't tell "jokes."

Quote:
abortion is a disagreement primarily on when life begins
That's what I said in Post 130. Aren't you following along? But anyway, if abortion is a disagreement on when life begins, why do they claim they are "pro-life" when they actually aren't?

Quote:
A person who supports the death penalty does not believe EVERYONE should be executed.
Who said they did? But tell you what, when a group gets together that wants to

1) redefine death so that a person incapable of breathing and eating on their own is declared legally dead;

2) make it illegal to use life support systems despite a loved one's objection;

3) is against the death penalty; and

4) call their group Pro-Death to gain support

get back to me.

Quote:
This illogical and absurd argument can be made for pro-choice too. A pro-choice person supports some right to get an aboriton. They do not believe literally everyone for any reason in all issues can make any choice. They still believe in some rule of law. A pro-choice person does not support a right for me to do anything at any time for any reason.
Fair point.

Quote:
Most people are not cartoonish hardline absolutist caricatures of a human being.
I'm not sure whether I agree with "most." The jury is still out on that one.

Quote:
Perhaps in the sense that it got off-topic, but it was a quite reasonable debate until BobC and you pretended not to be able to understand common words and phrases.
It's not that I "pretended not to be able to understand common words and phrases," it's more that I don't agree with using the term pro-life in that manner. So far, nobody has even attempted to answer the question, how can they be "pro-life" when they're not? Just like I don't agree with Russia using the term "special military operation" for their invasion of Ukraine. Should we all just acquiesce and call it a "special military operation" because it's their invasion and that's what they want to call it?