View Single Post
Old 06-03-2022, 05:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
Regarding auction houses, don't forget the seller also pays a 10-20% fee for the AH to sell the item. Let's say for example an item sells for $100. The AH may get 25% from the buyer and 20% from the seller. Hmmm, high school math tells me that's about 45%. Also, they never owned the item but they did facilitate in getting the item sold; advertising, packaging, shipping, collecting the money, etc. etc.

Auction houses do provide a needed service in a lot of respects that a seller could never accomplish on their own. They also deserve to be compensated for what they provide. I would think the market would determine what type of commissions they receive, but I thought the same thing about grading companies.

Another thought regarding auction houses, don't think just because a large auction house is selling your item you will get a much higher price than selling it on your own. That's not necessarily true. I've sold a few items through an auction house, not a lot but a few. I was very pleased in that once I turned it in, I was done. Everything else was taken care of. I wasn't real thrilled with the prices they sold for.

Just imagine if a real estate agent received that kind of money from selling a house! Sign me up.
IF a seller is paying a fee at this point in the history of the world to an auction house that charges a BP, they're with the wrong auction house. No matter how many times we go through this, we have to go through it again apparently.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-03-2022 at 05:36 PM.