View Single Post
Old 06-09-2022, 08:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRumierz View Post
I have a 1952 Topps carrying Buck Barker's notation that it was purchased in 1953 by him. Owen Ricker reported 50 years ago that he bought mixed '52 and '53 in packs in Western Canada. That's not to say that Topps did this routinely.
Local wholesalers to "Dime Stores" would take warehouse clearances and repackaged them for sale locally. I bought 3rd Series '52 25 in a cellophane "pack" for a 10C in '61. The '54-'55 Topps Hockey was sold again in cellophane packaging 25 for a dime in 1957-8. Jay Barry reported buying complete sets of '51 Red and Blue backs in Detroit Dime Stores much after 1951.
Much went on that isn't formally documented like Sivercup bread putting 1955 Topps in their loaves (Detroit). Even as a kid I was disappointed that the card inside was identical to the Bubble Gum card.
Hey John
Good to see you posting and thanks for the info. You are a great reason to go to the national, for me, but my guess is I wait till next year in Chicago.

For anyone that doesn't know, John, imo has more knowledge of baseball cards than almost anyone I know. And I know a few people. And if you want to chat with him he will be the first table when you walk in the National, always.

Last edited by Leon; 06-09-2022 at 04:13 PM.