View Single Post
Old 08-03-2022, 12:53 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
LOVE the coloring on those '71 Progressive Proofs.
Thank you, Mark. Obviously, the Bando and the Fregosi appear to be "blue" only proofs. The Wine card seems to have just 3 colors lacking the black, the same as the Garvey in this thread: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?p=1583626

As with the Garvey and Beckert card, these 3 cards have normal backs

My question then is, is the Wine card simply black-less card or is it a 3-color progressive proof? If it is a 3-color progressive proof, what is the progression of the first 3 colors on the progressive proofs? My guess is that blue would be the first color as the Beckert, Bando and Fregosi cards are blue only. So, is a blue/yellow only card or a blue/red only card second in the progression after the blue only?

ETA: I found my own answer:

From the Dictionary of Marketing Terms: progressive proofs (progs)
Set of proofs made during the four-color printing process; also called color proofs. Typically, there are seven different impressions in a set of progressive proofs: one for each color alone and then the combinations as succeeding colors are added. The final proof will show the finished color reproduction. An example of a progressive sequence follows: (1) impression of the red plate; (2) impression of the yellow plate; (3) impression of the yellow plate on the red plate; (4) impression of the blue plate; (5) impression of the blue plate on the yellow and red plate; (6) impression of the black plate; (7) impression of the black plate on the yellow, red, and blue plate.

With this in mind, the Wise and Garvey cards would be #5s, while the Fregosi and Bando would be #4s.

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 08-03-2022 at 01:01 PM.