View Single Post
Old 09-09-2022, 10:02 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Thinking back to my tax class that is tax evasion. Tax avoidance is good, tax evasion is breaking the law.

tax avoidance—An action taken to lessen tax liability and maximize after-tax income. tax evasion—The failure to pay or a deliberate underpayment of taxes.
Absolutely correct Jay. Had often told clients, tax evasion is a crime, but tax avoidance is your constitutional and God given right. LOL

In Ryan's defense, I'm guessing he just mixed up the terminology and was referring to the idea of people using a vault purposely to get out of paying sales tax. And doing so by almost immediately pulling out cards they had sent to a vault and having them sent to their residence.

However, as Peter later pointed out, I don't believe it would be the vault company's responsibility to ever collect and remit sales taxes to any state on behalf of a card's owner. The vault company only provides a storage service, and to my knowledge has nothing to do with actual sale or purchase of items, nor in the handling of any monies involved in such sales. In the case of PWCC and Goldin, who both provide vault services, I believe their vault operations are set up as/in completely different business entities from their auction/sales businesses. It would be stupid business practice to have their different operations all in one single entity, and I don't think either of them are stupid by any means. As Peter stated, it would most likely be considered a use tax owed by the individual who bought the card and then took it out of a vault right away to add to their personal collection at their home. How a state is going to find out about such individuals who may may be abusing this practice, remains to be seen.