View Single Post
Old 09-12-2022, 10:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
I don't think enough info is provided. What type of retirement account are they withdrawing funds from? What are the ages? Withdrawing from a 401k is much different than withdrawing from a Roth IRA same as withdrawing before age 59 1/2 is a lot different than withdrawing after age 59 1/2. That information will have drastically different issues with taxes and penalties on the withdrawal. As I understand the rules, personally I might consider it from a Roth IRA, but wouldn't even think about it from a 401k.
Good thoughts, DJ.
First of all, I haven't gotten into debt over cards. I might extend a payment for a short period, but that's it. And that is because I didn't want to take money from retirement accounts. And I am still not going to do it BUT .....

...As devil's advocate. What is the difference from taking it from one account or the other AS LONG as you account for the tax implications. Let's say I want to buy a 35k card out of my 401k. Whenever I take it out, now or later, it's going to be taxed. IF I account for that, and take 50k? out, to pay the taxes, what's the difference?

(and I have both IRA and ROTHs). I just turned 61 (dang I am old).

Last edited by Leon; 09-12-2022 at 10:25 AM.