View Single Post
Old 09-12-2022, 12:40 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Good thoughts, DJ.
First of all, I haven't gotten into debt over cards. I might extend a payment for a short period, but that's it. And that is because I didn't want to take money from retirement accounts. And I am still not going to do it BUT .....

...As devil's advocate. What is the difference from taking it from one account or the other AS LONG as you account for the tax implications. Let's say I want to buy a 35k card out of my 401k. Whenever I take it out, now or later, it's going to be taxed. IF I account for that, and take 50k? out, to pay the taxes, what's the difference?

(and I have both IRA and ROTHs). I just turned 61 (dang I am old).
The answer is different for different people but for some they will be in a lower tax bracket when they retire. Thus, the t (tax rate) is not the same in both cases. Secondly, by withdrawing early you loose the compounding in the money. That said, the compounding on the card might exceed that on the retirement account investment (or it might not). The other thing to consider is that the transaction fees for buying and selling cards, if done via the auction route, are much higher than fees in the equity markets.