View Single Post
Old 10-27-2022, 09:28 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
While I do not recall any sellers claiming these were Topps originated packs, I do think some sellers imply that Topps sold or gave some excess inventory to a specific 3d party to repackage and sell at retail. I have never seen any specific documentation or substantiation of that
I feel that old’ Sy seemed to have an internal hustle most of the time and while he may have sold overstock at a discount it just seems weird that the repacker removed them all from the packs first. The documented example had them in the pack. I am sure he had overstock but I doubt he let store owners return it like is done now. I would like to know how those early years dumped.

When the late 70s and early 80s came along they used fun packs to dump overstock. The Halloween fun packs were repacked in the rainbow wrappers, but that seemed like more of a money hustle so they could shrink the packs down to 4 cards and have more packs with less cards.

After those, I remember my LCS would get the overstock cheap and sell them for 5 bucks a box. Those were the boxes that I still see with the big paint marker slash across the lid.

I feel these are going to remain a hobby mystery forever unless someone finds some real proof. That seems like one needle in an Sears Tower sized haystack.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.