View Single Post
Old 11-29-2022, 10:46 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
Like I said, I am not well read on Cobb. My contention was that the assumption that Cobb's father was an academic and therefore less racist had no merit in the discussion. We should not assume one's profession makes them something or does not. It's stereotyping, and this thread is trying to break through the stereotypes and fabricated narratives that have been painted about Cobb. If Cobb's father was an outlier in the world of racist academia, it was because of his personal experiences.

Let's take for example a current stereotype = Public school teachers are liberals. Are many teachers liberal? I don't know. Where I work 70% of the population is conservative. So in my dealings, I know just as many teachers who are Republican as I know Democrats. So the stereotype is wrong in my neck of the woods.
I think I’m less focused on the stereotype of liberal v conservative, racist or nonracist, and more focused on the fact that a university professor will expose their kids to different experiences, intellectual theories, and ideas as opposed to say your average coal miner. Nothing against coal miners!

Whether that has an impact on one’s racist bent is, of course, subject to debate.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 11-29-2022 at 10:47 AM.