View Single Post
Old 12-20-2022, 01:24 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Hitters:
It's gotta be Frank Robinson for me as well. He was an all-time great. He should be just one tier below Hank Aaron and Willie Mays, but he's usually an afterthought that gets placed several tiers too low. He gets no love. And since every thread needs a card, here's a Frank Robinson that I just won on eBay a few days ago

Pitchers:
Satchel Paige. Yes, he gets praise, but I believe he was the greatest pitcher who ever lived. He deserves more flowers.

Also, I find it interesting that some have stated Warren Spahn, as I believe he is the most overrated pitcher who ever lived. His stats were hyper-inflated by his ballparks (yes, so was Koufax, but not nearly to the extent that Spahn was). If you were to take all pitchers in MLB history and make adjustments to their numbers for park factors, Warren Spahn ranks as the #1 most helped-by-park pitcher in MLB history. That is to say that he would lose more WAR due to park adjustments than any other pitcher in history (depending on which WAR calculation you use, as some already bake this in). That said, Warren Spahn was indeed still one of the all-time greats. He just wasn't quite as great as everyone thinks he was.
+1 on every word. Totally agree.

One of my favorite cards is a 1962 Topps Frank Robinson.

I like Warren Spahn, but find him overrated as well.

If only we could have seen Satchel Paige in his prime...

I absolutely love my 1949 Bowman "Satchell" Paige. Got it years (decades now) ago for free, complete with pin hole. Another of my favorite cards.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***

Last edited by jingram058; 12-20-2022 at 01:25 PM.