View Single Post
Old 12-23-2022, 05:55 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Nobody gets signed as a first baseman because of their glove. They get signed because of their bat and get put on first base because they suck at fielding and can't run. Sure, some are better than others, and Hernandez did amass himself a nice trophy case full of golden gloves, but it's not like he had stiff competition in that department.

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer 1Bs that average more than 9 HRs and 63 RBIs per year.
Yes, Keith Hernandez was no slugger. But let's not get carried away with downplaying his power. When you say he had 9 Hrs and 63 RBIs per year, you are including several "years" when he had few at bats, including when he was 20 years old and had 41 plate appearances. As a data scientist, I am surprised you would do this.

A more accurate look at his hitting might be to look at his OPS+ (128), or advanced metrics like rOBA or ISO. Keith fared pretty well in all of those.

He was an unconventional 1st Baseman, but he was valuable and helped his team win in many ways other than raw power.

On a separate note, we do both agree that Frank Robinson is criminally underrated from a card value perspective.

Last edited by cgjackson222; 12-23-2022 at 07:34 AM.