View Single Post
Old 01-03-2023, 06:49 PM
Bob C.

In regard to some of the seemingly positive, or at worst neutral, comments about CSG and their possible future place among the other TPGs I'm reading about in this thread, would love to hear some of the stories and reasons for changing of opinions, and/or otherwise hypocritical comments now being made in regard to CSG.

I remember in an earlier thread just after the announcement came out, and I believe also before they had become a paid advertiser here on Net54, discussing CSG's decision in partnering with PWCC and agreeing to do grading for PWCC's customers through them. And in my attempt to hopefully steer that earlier thread to an intelligent and civil discussion regarding CSG's business choices and supposed business model going forward, and if they could potentially grow enough to become legit, serious competitors of the other TPGs, I got the not atypical $hit directed at me by the usual type of suspects. And it is almost comical how some posts/comments between both threads are now literally 180 degrees opposite from where they were in the prior statements/opinions regarding CSG.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=318862,

And in regard to the main idea of the thread, I don't really see much change, and the pricing differences caused by factors such as Registries, seem to still be in place. I do believe I've started seeing more CSG slabbed cards on Ebay, and won't be surprised if they continue to creep up on the other TPGs, in both quantities showing up for sale, as well as the values they bring. I seem to remember seeing/reading that CSG supposedly does have a Registry of their own. If that is true, they need to keep grading many more cards before their Registry will begin to impact their card's resale value. I have stated before that a possible good move by CSG would be to see if they can somehow acquire, or at least partner-up with, SGC, and therefore be able to integrate SGC's grading population history with theirs, giving them both more Registry credibility, and allowing them to at least start to think about catching up to PSA in that regard. Still won't make up for the advantage PSA has built up over the years, or change the somewhat now ingrained hobby thinking/bias that PSA graded cards are worth more than other TPG graded cards, but at least it would be a start in the right direction.

Last edited by BobC; 01-03-2023 at 07:04 PM.