View Single Post
Old 01-05-2023, 07:42 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
SGC cards do not sell for the same price as PSA slabs in the same grade. Pretty much ever. The only exception to that is when the card inside has tremendous eye-appeal. But it is the card that makes up that delta, not the holder, when it happens. But if you take the same exact card and put it in a PSA holder and then put it in an SGC holder, with the same grade, it's always going to sell for more in the PSA holder (at least currently).

The primary reason we are seeing so many more cards now in SGC and CSG holders though is not just because of the turnaround times. PSA has recently moved the goalposts on us (again), and they are now grading vintage cards with completely laughable grades. EX-MT cards in 4 holders, EX cards in 3 holders. NM-MT cards in 5 holders. It's absolutely absurd. So people have just stopped sending them cards because they're going to get a higher grade at SGC now. I can't tell you how many cards I've submitted to PSA lately that I immediately crack out upon receiving them back and then just send them off to SGC where they get 1 to 2 full grade bumps. People overlook the fact that an SGC 6 is going to outsell a PSA 4 every time.
I guess this the piece I can't wrap my head around. If PSA moved the goalpots, why do people continue to submit to them? They graded more than 1 million cards in December, so they certainly aren't hurting for business.