View Single Post
Old 01-30-2023, 01:40 PM
Todd Schultz

Default Although I feel for the guy

It was a remarkably boneheaded play. His explanation made little sense either:

"I was trying to push him, maybe get him going backwards because I knew he was going for that sideline. I was trying to make him go backwards, get that clock running".

First, he had to know the sideline was there--Mahomes just ran right by and alongside the bright red-orange first-down marker directly in his line of vision. Second, he never was in a position to push him backwards-- his only push would clearly not come from the front. Add to the fact that Mahomes was not trying to dance for extra yardage or extend the ball and it is clear he had nothing to gain by that shove.

I get the play hard mentality, but IMO that appeared to be a guy completely oblivious to the game situation, despite his later efforts to say otherwise. Still, too bad the game was basically decided by that penalty.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 01-30-2023 at 01:52 PM.