View Single Post
Old 02-06-2023, 06:52 AM
Tom Re.bert

Default Baseball Card Miracles do happen every 100 years

Real find 1990--a full time Antique dealer and collector for 60 years residing in southern Illinois passed away. I'm guessing not having any know realities the City ordered the contents of old house needing of paint to clean it out. Where, ? the the city dump--a trash collector came across several cheese boxes, upon opening neatly stacked lay close to 1000 T206 and hundreds of E92 caramel cards. Also old cast iron toys still in the boxes. I assume he had bought or collected since a kid? (the trash man did offer the whole lot to a local Missouri antique for $200.00, mean while he found out they were valuable and start calling--fact one well know famous dealer said he was fibbing and hung up on him--although he did end up buying most of them!)

The sad part on my end I had visited and bought a few item from him--he always asked anything I was looking for Nope, I never thought to ask about baseball cards? I did ask him about a huge Log Cabin Syrup tin display, 200.00 he replied and a Tiffany Lamp, $3,000--Nope I didn't buy either, years later I heard the old Log Cabin store display auctioned for $20,000 at some Indianapolis Indiana auction.

Could this happen again, possibly, but not like this!--moral of the story==just ask!

Last edited by Directly; 02-06-2023 at 07:28 AM.