View Single Post
Old 02-14-2023, 07:00 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Not trying to dismiss your concerns, but I think your problem is that there's just not that many out there, period. So there's going to be even fewer for sale. They're tough to find for a reason, and the only way around that is to spend a long, long time trying to find them. Beating the bushes. Turning over every rock. Letting everyone in the world know that you're willing to overpay to get them. It will probably take decades of patience, and you might have to be willing to do completely crazy stuff like buy a complete set just to get the one card that you want.
Personally, I think I accumulate more of a hoard card if I don’t talk about it. When people know, they artificially inflate the value and some won’t sell to the hoarder at all, anticipating even more escalating values as it continues. One will get more in the immediate short term by saying they’ll overpay and hoarding X, but after the initial flood it slows to a trickle and everything is at a heavily inflated price. I have stacked pretty large percentages of the population of certain cards - with no real increase in the price because nobody knows 2/3 of the POP report is cracked out in a box in my safe and I have what must be a ton of the never graded population. Patience might be the better route. I’m loud about my wantlist for singles, completely shut up about hoarding a player or card and never mention them at all.