View Single Post
Old 02-23-2023, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
It's pretty good. But there are a ton of other sites. baseballcardpedia is good for the modern sets.

I have heard that sometimes submitters of checklists and variations to TCDB have created fakes and then listed them as real in TCDB. Not sure if it was for S&G, or some convoluted way to defraud people. But that seems to be more the exception than the rule, since it's crowdsourced.
So this thread seems to be largely at an end, but I really hope that no one has the misconception that TCDB is a vehicle for fraud or that it's on par with sites like Baseballcardpedia. I have to say that I'm really astounded by those statements, and respectfully wonder if the person who posted that is perhaps thinking of something else.

I just checked, and TCDB has a database of 17.7 million cards, all searchable. Aside from Beckett, no other online site has anything remotely approaching that number.

As one or two other posters mentioned, it's crowdsourced, so there's always some possibility of a user uploading bad information, but the moderators take their jobs VERY seriously there, and many complain that the site is actually too restrictive as to what can and cannot be added. From experience, I know that when other users alert the site to mistakes, they are quickly taken down.

I post this because I'd love to see more pre-war collectors over there. If anyone has issues about anything that's missing or can be improved, they very much have the option to add to or change things. As someone else mentioned, TCDB is the apparent winner of the card crowdsourcing competition, so this site will likely be with us for a very long time to come.