View Single Post
Old 03-23-2023, 07:08 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhumr View Post
1. How has pricing evolved since ~2010 and what direction is it currently trending? I'm primarily looking at popular HOFers from T206, CJ, Goudey, and the 50's Topps sets. Mid- to low grade. Not fishing for specific numbers, just curious about the atmospherics.

2. What did I miss regarding the grading companies? After browsing a few pages of the forum tonight, I was surprised at the negativity toward PSA, SCG, etc. I ask this question because I previously preferred SCG-graded cards because their black slabs look nice behind a mat and frame. I'm not a flipper or grade hunter, but I do appreciate the protection and extra sense of authenticity.
1. Overall, pricing since 2010 has gone up significantly. In the past few years there seems to have been a huge spike resulting is a "bubble" a lot of people feel will deflate at some point. T206, CJs and Goudeys have risen in price a lot since 2010.

2. TPGs are assigning grades to altered (mostly trimmed) cards. It appears there's that there's really no recourse to poor subjectivity. SGC has new ownership which appears to have resulted in more "liberal" subjectivity (just my opinion). I used to like SGC over PSA because the holders were nice and I didn't care about "valuation" of cards in a specific TPG holder. Recently, I made a few purchases of cards in the new SGC holders and I can see (just my opinion - but I've been doing this for a while) that SGC is assigning numerical grades to altered cards. When you start researching more, you'll find out that PSA cards tend to sell for higher prices than SGC graded cards.

You're going to hear this saying from a lot of experienced collectors:

"Buy the card, not the holder".

As the saying goes, every thread should have a picture of a nice vintage card. Think about this - the very first card graded by PSA is the following, and if you know the background of this card then consider how grading started for sports cards:

PSA8 Wagner T206.jpg