View Single Post
Old 03-29-2023, 01:29 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
As a collector, I've always been about more cards of lesser value: why have one really nice Ruth when I can have ten messy ones instead? 10 Ruths are better than one! As a collector, give me a run of Mantle cards instead of a 1952 T. If I am trying to make money, though, I don't see it that way. I would rather put my eggs in one marquee card than in a card I hope might some day become a marquee card. The Mantle is so expensive that a small % movement on price equates to a much larger % movement on a cheaper card. A PSA 1 Robinson can be had for about $3,000-$3,500; a Mantle is $25,000+. A 10% bump on the Mantle is an 80% bump on the Robinson, in $$ terms. Is it more likely that a Mantle will go up 10% or a Robinson will go up 80%?
Adam-

Not sure I completely agree with your math here, or at least the premise behind your math seems flawed to me. If you were to spend $25k on either one 311 Mantle or spend the same $25k on a fistful of Robinsons, then a 10% change in either one gets you to the same result.

Having said that, there's always room to argue about which of those pieces are more likely to move up (or down). But on percentage terms, if you're investing similar amounts overall in cardboard (whether one piece or multiple pieces), then you should get to the same place.

The only way your math makes sense is if a hypothetical comparison involves pocketing the savings and investing it elsewhere for little or no return, or somehow leveraging up on the Mantle but not on the Robinson. But I'm guessing that for most of us, if we have $25k to invest in cardboard, and if the first card we buy only costs $3k, then we're going to spend the remaining $22k on additional cardboard.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel