View Single Post
Old 04-04-2023, 11:16 AM
Michael

About 5 years ago I had the majority of my collection slabbed by PSA. I did n't do it for me. I knew the stuff was good as I had been collecting on and off since the 1960's. I did it as I am advancing in years and for the sake of my kids. I requested Bill Corcoran fly out (I was in WA) and we got it done in 3 days. Cost per item was low back then. I had a 95-98% pass rate which Bill said was unprecedented and I learned some on the ones that failed. Should I have waited for my kids to send it to an auction house on my demise and do it? Perhaps. Did it up the value of my collection enough to pay for the slabbing? Probably. It has helped as I acquire some dupes to sell them at times and am upgrading. I don't recommend this to everyone and new purchases I send to JSA for speed and alittle more objectivity for some items that PSA won't pass ever (like post stroke Frank Baker). Also spending many hours/days with Bill and with Jim Stinson I acknowledge they know more than me. I do not want any to go to the random newcomers on staff who I probably know more than them and because I have much high end stuff, I have been able to avoid that situation. I wish ebay etc would crack down on the fraudulent listers and I wish the new TPA authenticators would have to sit by the side of the top guys and mentor for many many months and be quizzed until they can get the vast majority right (they are not awful). Some things I keep raw like my signed rare Jewish players and vintage Japanese HOFers as I do not think the TPAs know much there