View Single Post
Old 04-16-2023, 07:28 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
It's not a bad thing to be prepared for misfortune. It's good to be fit, to learn how to make a fire, to have some supplies on hand, to learn to do some things for yourself that people don't really have to do anymore usually. I suppose it doesn't hurt to have a case of water in your trunk, and some MRE's and a few magazines. I suppose it can even be a fun hobby for some to learn these skills and to prepare. It sure doesn't hurt anyone.

I fail to see any real liklihood that things will collapse so bad that order and law disappear and people are really forced to fend entirely for themselves. Having seen most vintage collectors bulk, we should hope not as most of us will be dying very quickly. Most people will not be able to take care of themselves for even a week.

That this apocalyptic scenario will happen and silver will see a price rise because farmers will use it as the currency to traverse their roads (apparently in this end of order scenario, people are polite and respect property and it isn't those who can quickly form well-armed groups that will control things) is ludicrous.

If one truly believes the end of civilization is coming, one should get fit, learn survival skills, hoard food and medicine and water and stockpile ammunition, parts and magazines, learn marksmanship, organize a group. Stacking silver to pay farmers to cross their roads? How far down the rabbit hole of crazy can we go?
It's historically accurate, as the breakdown of a collective govt devolves into regions of control. The Middle East's collapse with the Arab Spring brought rise to ISIS who took control of regions poorly managed. Even modern Afghanistan and Pakistan are kept together by a coalition govt willing to concede power to tribal/clan leaders in exchange for tribute. Most modern countries saw a strong leader rise that combined smaller kingdoms into a larger kingdom. Even as near as 1850, modern Germany and Italy did not exist. When kingdoms fall apart, local strongmen arise that can take control. While initial chaos happens, that chaos creates a power vacuum that brings rise to leaders - good or bad.

These new centers of control need currency. Why not silver coins in a region that is still a silver capital?

If a collective of farmers want to fill that power vacuum, so be it. But in Eastern WA, there are enough small highways to get to Canada. We have a single lane highway that runs all the way from Spokane to Nelson, BC. That's the road I would need to take to flee. It would be controlled by someone; possibly even a Native American tribe because it runs through their reservation.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 04-16-2023 at 07:29 PM.