View Single Post
Old 04-18-2023, 03:31 PM

The auction house that sold it, had the other Boyce...and I was the winner of this one, too!

Not only that, but I was able to track down the Old Judge card from Jay, one of the authors of "The Photographic Baseball Cards of Goodwin & Company" - aka the Old Judge bible. It's extra fun that my Boyce is the exact specimen shown in the Old Judge bible! (See below). To my knowledge not a single copy of this one has been graded by PSA.

Second verse, same as the first! Invert in photoshop ...

*squeals like a little girl again ... and whammo! A perfect Old Judge card, created from the original glass plate negative ...

The before and after isn't as dramatic as the first example, but still a night and day difference.

And here are the two Old Judge reproductions together!

Would you like a copy of each for your collection? They should make for a great conversation piece for both your collecting and non collecting friends alike! Send $20 shipped via paypal to tanmanbaseballfan@gmail.com / tanner-jones-93 venmo or $10 for one (just let me know which you want!)

It's shocking to me how I can pull such large high res images from them! I have a feeling we can go even larger. In fact, I was considering making a 20x24 of one of them, but I simply don't have the room...but when has that stopped me before?

I'm far from done with these - my plan is to have much more fun with them, but for now, I'm just happy to have been able to share them with you all! But stay tuned

So there you have it - original glass plate negatives from the first nationally distributed photographic baseball cards! Pieces that are older than the discovery of the T-Rex.