View Single Post
Old 05-04-2023, 12:59 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It's in the indictment itself. It wasn't "brought up during the trial." But don't let the facts get in the way, OK? I agree fully with people who are saying it's not the focus of the case. it was not. I only brought it up at all in response to the demonstrably false claim that selling an altered card without disclosure could not possibly be viewed as a crime. And again, speaking of questions nobody is answering, someone please explain why, if selling altered cards without disclosure could never be a crime, why the FBI undertook a several year investigation into card doctoring.
Unlike others who think they are Perry Mason I am not gonna touch on the legal merits but only to reiterate a comment you made earlier. Whether or not the concealment of a known alteration on a card one has for sale is a punishable crime, the very fact that nobody who sells and or defends these altered cards discloses the card is altered is telling as to what the hobby as a whole thinks of alterations.

The day when altered numerically graded cards (by respected TPG) are sold with full disclosure for consistently the same amount as an unaltered example in the same grade will be the time we can all agree that doctoring cards is accepted in the hobby. Until then I call utter BS on those who are advocating or defending it. Maybe that is because they themselves dabble in fixing cardboard. Kudos to them, however, for at least admitting they are ok with it. Takes some guts to do that so they have my respect from that POV.