View Single Post
Old 05-09-2023, 12:46 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Ball-Hitter View Post
I don't think it will ever happen again, but suppose we all only purchased cards in person, upon inspection, like in days days pre-internet.

You want a card, so you determine its condition, whether or not its altered, and whether or not you even care! Each dealer has a light and a magnifier available and together you decide the sales price. What would the TPGs do if we all decided to simply decide for ourselves? Then again, I'm sure some would feel intimidated by the prospect of not having an independent opinion.
Yup... better days for sure. Sure wish it could go that route, but the greed and current level of TPG hypnosis will never allow it to happen.

If TPGs have to be involved, I wish there was a grading company that would treat cards like they do vintage photos (meaning no number grades). The categories could be...

Type 1: Authentic and Unaltered
Type 2: Authentic but Altered
Type 3: Reprint
Type 4: Counterfeit, Fantasy, etc.

This way, the card's owner could decide the grade himself! Some collectors care more about centering than others. Some care more about crease-free cards. Some aren't bothered by worn corners. So who deemed the 3rd party's standards as the "Word of God", and why are there such huge variances in grades 1 - 3, but only microscopic variances in grades 7 - 10? Why isn't the scale even throughout?

Of course this Type 1 - 4 scenario would require an unbiased TPG that is capable of detecting alteration. And yes, I know it will never happen.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos