Thread: For seniors
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2023, 05:43 AM

Not a senior here, but I've always seen it this way:

If you still enjoy collecting, you shouldn't stop regardless of age! It is one of the things that likely brings you great joy and fascination. It engages your mind and excites your being. These positive characteristics tend to extend one's life, do they not? You're not dead yet, so why deprive yourself? Chances are that you're leaving many more assets to your loved ones besides the value of your collection, so it's OK to be a bit "selfish" (you're really not being selfish!) and collect away!

As others have noted, it's always good to have a list of trusted people at the ready for your family when the inevitable moment comes, and it's very helpful to catalogue everything, complete with accompanying photos. This is very time consuming, but you'll do it or pay someone else to do it if you're concerned about your family.

If your collection is sizeable, make sure that most of it is always in a state of being easily transported. One thing that I do see as being selfish are collectors who have entire properties crammed full with their stuff, including outbuildings. We see this all the time on the reality TV shows. Leaving your loved ones to contend with acres of your crap is the ultimate act of selfishness. As we've seen, and much to tlake's earlier point, the kids and wives rarely care about anything other than getting rid of the stuff and seeing a pile of cash. Thankfully, cards and autographs tend to take up much less room than what we see on these shows, but be kind to your families and at least make your collections easy to move when the time comes. Other than these points, my advice is collect till you drop!

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 05-10-2023 at 05:51 AM.