View Single Post
Old 05-15-2023, 02:03 PM
John

I wanted to post specifically about the Heinie Wagner card from last night's auction.

I love that card. I use it as my profile image here as I'm a big old time Sox fan, and something of a modern day fan though I want to sob every time I see Mookie Betts face. I have a reprint of that card and a somehow never bought the real deal but started looking recently for a good quality one.

A few months ago a Heinie Wagner 1915 CJ PSA 5 sold on eBay at auction for something like $850 when other common players from that set at that level were going for about $350-375. I figured it was a one-off of two guys bidding and both putting in a figure they figured would definitely win for them and then one of them did win - at a price he figured he'd never have to pay for.

But then Wagner's PSA 7 sold yesterday for $3,181. There were a load of PSA 7s that sold last night on eBay and they went for $650-1,500, with the exceptions being HOFers like Ed Walsh at $3,124, Nap Lajoie at $8,100 and our man Heinie. He outsold Big Ed Walsh!!

I've tried to hunt around, but am I missing something and this Heinie Wagner card is very low pop and commanding a huge price? Is it idiots who just got into the hobby for investing and are confusing him with Honus? Is it just a couple cases in a row of two guys both putting in high bids to ensure they won and now they're on the hook for way too much?

And does anyone have a good Heinie for sale? Yes, I'll post that in the BST section!