View Single Post
Old 05-22-2023, 06:09 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
With the big difference that one is the financial bedrock of the most powerful nation in world history that will do anything it takes to keep it going and growing, and the other is a share of a baseball card.
Equities are not always going and growing, far from it. From 1970-1979, the inflation adjusted return on the S & P 500 was -2.2%. From 2000 to 2009 it was -24.29%. Sure, it rebounds eventually, as does any other investment. That's my point: viewed from the right point in the timeline, everything can look good or bad. If the chaos monkeys in DC have their way June 1st, let's see what sort of growing and going we get over the next decade.

I hold my nose and place my bets in equities, but only because I have nowhere else to go that might generate enough ROI to fund a retirement. That, plus I don't want to be a landlord.

I am by no means suggesting that Collectable had a good idea--it seemed like a sucker bet to me from the start precisely because it was new and did not trade--but to suggest that there is some special fifth element to equities that differentiates them from other investments is to buy into marketing.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-22-2023 at 06:12 PM.