View Single Post
Old 07-07-2023, 09:31 AM

Good Morning, I have a lot of autographs in my collection and have bought and sold several. There is no doubt in my mind that authentic autographs are more desirable on an item that also contains a photo, narrative or something else pertaining to the subject. Maybe the one exception is on a card that also contains the postage cancellation date or another type of marking where the autograph can be traced to the subject on a specific date.

The problem with autographed photos, 8x10s for example, is subjects typically signed those by the thousands for fans, special events, retail, etc. Again, an exception is a vintage type 1 photo - for example a period Walter Johnson.

Regarding cards, the current market seems to be autographs on sports cards tend to be more valuable, especially on rookie cards. It seems to be a method of turning an $80 card into a $150 card rather quickly. Non factory issued sports cards bring more value when not only the card is authenticated but also graded. Such as 1955 Topps Jackie Robinson autographed card, with the both card and autograph certified and graded - compared to a simply the autographed certified and graded. If you don't pay the extra money to have the card graded, PSA will only label the card as Sports Card, etc.

Hope this helps.