View Single Post
Old 07-17-2023, 09:37 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I think they will learn an old lesson: there isn't a lot of money in card shows and that's why there aren't a lot of them.
That's not really accurate.

Card shows died because of online venues and have resurged in part because of online venues. Costs and restrictions online creep up and a table fee starts looking pretty good by comparison. I'm in the eBay punishment zone right now because I accidentally double-listed several cards and had to cancel the sales. I am now paying 19.5% of the sum of the closing price and shipping and sales tax, plus $0.30 per sale, as my eBay fees. Destroyed the market niche I was carving out for myself. Actually, cheaper to consign to an AH if I can get a zero-commission deal.

I ran some shows a decade ago. It takes a few shows to get your business model ironed out but once you do, the potential is there for a profitable endeavor, especially with the fevered market today. Our first two shows lost money, the last one was a break-even event. With some cost-cutting, I think we could have gotten it profitable. With the atmosphere today, I definitely think there is a profitable model out there. If I had the time, I would absolutely try it again. Heck, the National is a for-profit event; it is how the show owners make a living.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-17-2023 at 09:42 AM.