View Single Post
Old 07-29-2023, 11:07 AM
Tim Odeen

He has traditional stat numbers Hits, Runs, and RBI similar to Joey Votto, but less WAR - just 49! Votto has 64 WAR. Votto also has a better lifetime BA of .296 (Murphy .265), OBP .411 (Murphy .346) SLG .513 (Murphy .469). These traditional stats show where the difference in WAR come from.

Votto is borderline with most people assuming he'll be enshrined; whereas Murphy is borderline with the assumption he'll never make it in. Some would say "Hall of very good." In March Madness lingo, Votto is a team that is "Last 4 in" while Murphy is a team that is "First 4 out."

Here's another take. Lots of people like to talk about peak years. The guys that focus on peak years argue for 7-10 year runs as elite talent. When I look at Dale Murphy, I could count 6 years. Someone considerable to just missing out on peak years is Felix Hernandez. I think he should be enshrined for playing for awful Mariners teams. But others argue his peak years don't reach that 7 year minimum.

Harold Baines, who everyone loves to hate for being enshrined, seems similar to Dale Murphy. Tony LaRussa argued Baines was a good guy to - a players player. If Murphy makes it in, he will be accused of cronyism and lowering the standards of the HOF. It's best to let him be a good guy who people want to support and hope will be enshrined, rather than be dragged through the mud.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 07-29-2023 at 11:14 AM.