View Single Post
Old 07-29-2023, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
He has traditional stat numbers Hits, Runs, and RBI similar to Joey Votto, but less WAR - just 49! Votto has 64 WAR. Votto also has a better lifetime BA of .296 (Murphy .265), OBP .411 (Murphy .346) SLG .513 (Murphy .469). These traditional stats show where the difference in WAR come from.

Votto is borderline with most people assuming he'll be enshrined; whereas Murphy is borderline with the assumption he'll never make it in. Some would say "Hall of very good." In March Madness lingo, Votto is a team that is "Last 4 in" while Murphy is a team that is "First 4 out."

Harold Baines, who everyone loves to hate for being enshrined, seems similar to Dale Murphy. Tony LaRussa argued Baines was a good guy to - a players player. If Murphy makes it in, he will be accused of cronyism and lowering the standards of the HOF. It's best to let him be a good guy who people want to support and hope will be enshrined, rather than be dragged through the mud.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
The child in me hates you for saying this

In all seriousness, though, Murphy did win the NL MVP two years in a row, meaning that a lot of people thought he was best in the business in his prime. I don't know how many two-time (non-roided) MVPs aren't in the Hall, but it probably isn't a long list.

Last edited by bk400; 07-29-2023 at 11:13 AM.