View Single Post
Old 08-02-2023, 02:52 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
In the short term you are right he will put fans on the seats for the next few months, sell merchandise and get TV ratings.
When he leaves
Long term the seats will be emptier, the fans will buy less merchandise and ratings will be down.
Then someone else will pay the money to have him. And it will cost that team no player or prospects.
LA could have gotten a nice haul in return to hopefully make a winning team to help gain fans in seats, merchandise etc.

We will see what happens but I agree the next 2 months will be great for LA.

The next few years are the bigger question

They may have gotten a couple of future starting caliber players for him, but I doubt they would have pulled a "putting fans in the seats" type of player.

Teams don't normally give those guys up, and the Rookie contracts they are on, for a 2-3 month rental. They might for a full season of a top player...but not that short of a rental. I'm sure there might be a couple exceptions to the rule here, but unlikely the Angels would have struck gold on that front.

...and it's not just the next two months of capitalization for the Angels. This is the type of season they'll be able to merchandise for years to come...whether he's with them or not.