View Single Post
Old 09-05-2023, 11:39 PM
Ciaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kecleveland View Post
I found a guy in Spain for soccer cards. I tell him what I want and then he raids his grandmother’s attic. Recently got a set of 1921 Jaime Boix Barcelona Attachment 587421puzzles.
I assume you are aware. However, the primary footballer pictured here is Ricardo Zamora. Zamora was one of the most famous players, and certainly the most famous goalkeeper, of the pre WWII era. Also, a controversial figure off the pitch.

As to shops and opportunities to buy cards in London? In my experience, living here, the opportunities are relatively limited. Rather, it’s certainly possible to buy vintage tobacco cards (referred to as “cigarette cards”) here. However, not of vintage US-produced baseball cards; other than where a collector has purchased from across the pond and, hence, if selling, the price tends to be high as they are factoring in their additional costs of original purchase (customs fees, international postage etc).

Other points to note:
- Vintage British football (i.e. “soccer”’) cards from the early 20th century (pre WWI) have exploded in price in recent years; primarily for certain players but also to some extent across the board and the collector base is relatively knowledgeable. Therefore, the opportunity to find bargains would be limited. I’m unsure as to the extent of read across to cards of other themes from this era but many still appear to be very low priced, esp. where purchasing mixed lots at an auction.

- There are a number of card shops around London. However, in practice, these are very modern focused. They’re also very much in the suburbs. Similarly, London now has two regular card shows but these are also well out in suburbs with very little vintage.

- Generally, sellers across Europe are much more aware of prices / values of cards than in the past. Many sellers, similar to many US-based seller, clearly over price and over value their items; certainly online. In my experience, “finds” are better physically in antique and paper shops in parts of Italy and Spain.

Note it works both ways in terms of searching for items overseas. For many years, I’ve searched for rare vintage soccer programs from matches played in the US - particularly of British and European touring teams playing exhibition games against often local US amateur teams. Many of these can be hard to find but, in the past, occasionally bargains could be found on, say, eBay. Not the case these days.