View Single Post
Old 09-11-2023, 07:20 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Back to the OP, which is whether the recent surge in Wagner prices is sustainable, as it could impact one’s decision whether to sell an M116 Blue Wagner….

Personally, I think Wagner cards, along with numerous other pre war players, have been very undervalued for a long time, and I think the recent surge is a reflection of that. Additionally, I think Wagner, for the reasons stated earlier, is in a unique group of transcendent players, who will remain desirable to future generations (Ruth, Cobb, Jackson, Gehrig, Mantle, Mays, Robinson, Aaron). Add the relative rarity of Wagner cards (100+ years old, played a bulk of his career in the early 1900s before the rise of most T, D, and E cards, and very few tobacco issues), and I think you have a nice recipe for stability and perhaps additional appreciation. One last factor is that, I bet, most people buying Wagners at these prices can afford to hold them, which means there is unlikely to be a dumping of Wagner cards that leads to a value spiral.

Now, the question of whether now is the time to sell…? That is personal question that I think depends principally on whether you have a better use for the after-tax proceeds.
Agreed. It seems to me there has been an incredible amount of rare high quality Ruth cards available in the last few auctions, any thoughts on the seller(s)? Doesn't seem to be a top but damn, some folks were selling a lot of great Ruth cards.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-