View Single Post
Old 09-20-2023, 09:36 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Petty's signature is marvelously artistic. He must've practiced it a lot. Speaking of early cards, Unser is card #57 in the 1965 Donruss Spec Sheet set. I got a stack of those cards when i was a kid but it was years until I knew what they were.
I listen regularly to the NascardRadio podcast, which is a podcast about racing cards. A while back, the show talked about Petty cards and that he still visits the Richard Petty Museum in Randleman, N.C., once or twice a week specifically to sign all the items people have sent to the museum for autographs.

Petty still signs for free. Volunteers at the museum lay out all the items on tables and Petty moves down the line from item to item. For items that Petty has not seen before, he often jots a quick note on the item in addition to his signature.

Speaking of beautiful autographs, Adam, I imagine you will like this story. I listened to the "The War," an audiobook book a year or so ago on the brutal Hagler-Hearns fight. At one point, the book mentioned how beautiful Hagler's autograph was and how much time he put into making a nice signature for fans. After hearing that, I had to go look up some MMH autographs to see for myself how nice his autograph was.

Last edited by Bored5000; 09-20-2023 at 09:39 PM.