View Single Post
Old 09-21-2023, 11:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
HA.

I don't doubt that's part of it. Another part could just be the administrative side. I suspect most of us struggle to keep good records about every piece we have, and then report each of those individual sales and our gain/loss. Even if you only sell 1 piece each week, that's 52 sales to be tracking and reporting on your tax return. In some cases, your income might be little or nothing, so no real tax to be paid - just administrative stuff to navigate.

I'm guessing the average American feels like that entire exercise is one gigantic hassle that they'd prefer to avoid if they can. Plus not wanting to endure the administrative hassle it's a great excuse to feel better about yourself if it also happens to result in you paying less tax.
I suspect most people don't pay taxes unless they know they could get caught by a paper trail.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.