View Single Post
Old 10-08-2023, 05:47 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
Honestly, I've barely seen any true index cards signed by Mantle which dated post-1950's. Most anything 3X5 in size that dates to later on in Mick's life was trimmed from a larger item, like a book leaf, and is obviously on thinner paper stock. If you see any actual index cards which supposedly bear Mantle's most familiar, "card show industry" style autograph, you're looking at an almost 100% chance of it being a forgery. I've seen lots of those.
Funny you should say that. Here's one from 1991.

In this case, the autograph is 100% authentic. I can say that without hesitation because I got it in person, at a press conference at Mickey Mantle's Restaurant in New York City in July 1991 where Mantle publicized an auction of his 1967 road jersey. I was there in my capacity as an employee of the auction house that was hosting the event, and I had the boss' permission to ask Mantle for an autograph.

I know what many of you must be thinking: why, as a knowledgable employee of a place that dealt in sports memorabilia, did I waste an opportunity to get a free Mickey Mantle autograph by having him sign a lowly 3x5 card instead of a photo or a baseball?

Well, I had been told that Mantle would only be signing auction catalogs at the event. For all I knew, he could have said "I'm only signing catalogs" and turned me away. But when I presented the card to Mantle he looked at the back, saw that it was just a plain 3x5, and signed and (at my request) dated it.

Fortunately, 3x5 cards have always been my medium of choice for autographs - I like autographs for their own sake - so I didn't feel like I was "settling" just for the sake of a free Mantle signature.

So apparentiy this is a very rare item, a 3x5 card with a "card show" Mantle autograph. And as the only Mickey Mantle autograph that I know to be authentic without question because I myself saw him sign it, it's also a personal 1-of-1.