View Single Post
Old 11-03-2023, 10:22 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
Clemens and Bonds got 65.2% and 66.0% in their last year on the ballot so not quite 2/3.
You saved me, by fractions of a percent! Thank you Jay lol. I recall that Gil Hodges for many years had the highest writers vote without getting inducted, by a wide margin I believe, until he was recently selected.

It's rare the writers put in someone I disagree with. The various committee's throughout the years have been a real mixed bag. Wagner would be the first in a long time I think doesn't belong (my objection to Ortiz is not his performance, but the astounding corruption it takes to ignore his steroid use while punishing everyone else).

I tend to think pretty much anyone seriously discussed here will end up making it - as time goes on the committees water it down and water it down some more. The guys like Hodges, Olive and Kaat that had a case but were not great candidates eventually get in once they become the best guys of their period not yet in. When you got top level guys on the ballot these types don't look appealing, but as the committees need to keep electing people and the body of talent available for selection thins out, they have to keep reaching just a little lower.