View Single Post
Old 11-20-2023, 10:13 PM
Frank Wakefield

After reading what James I. said up there about announcers back in the day (to which I agree), it reminded me of transition points in the broadcasts.

First... baseball was easily understood when the pennant winner of each league met in the World Series in a best of 7 series; AND this took place with day games. As a school kid, you could maybe watch a black and white TV to see a bit of the game in study hall. People walked around with transistor radios and an earphone tethered to the radio. People would ask or tell one another the score, the inning, and maybe a few details. You'd hear the game in most of the stores, where somewhere in there would be a radio.

Then came Fox. The first World Series game I remember seeing on Fox, was a night game (which had become somewhat common by then). But that wasn't what's seared in my memory. Fox higher ups had forced upon the baseball announcers the need to promote some new TV show that was on Fox... I don't recall CBS, NBC, nor ABC ever doing that crap. I felt like Fox was prostituting baseball to improve ratings in some unassociated timeslot. I'm still put out over it.

I hated the pitch clock less than I thought I would. I dislike the massive everchanging playoff system, which is geared towards generating more money for owners, the players, MLB, and the MLBPA... it all couldn't give a hoot in Hell about how confusing it is as it changes, and how crazy it his to have World Series games scheduled for around Halloween and even into November.