View Single Post
Old 12-09-2023, 12:37 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Cards don't get bonus points for not having wax stains or print lines. The idea is to start at 10 and then subtract for flaws.

I personally don't think the grading process should be an eye appeal measurement, rather it should be a technical review of the card. It definitely should not be an estimate of the market value.

A 50/50 card with good color and clear focus can sell for double the average price for the grade. And that's the way it should be. We don't need SGC bumping up high eye-appeal cards to the next grade to try and estimate their market value. That would be a mess.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

I see what you're saying. That makes sense. I do like their implemention of half grades though too distinguish strong eye appeal for the grade from average to below average. Basically, they're saying the card is technically a 4, but looks better than most other 4s, so they'll give it a 4.5. I think I'm with you though in that maybe they shouldn't say the card is technically a 4, but the eye appeal is so superior that they'll bump it all the way to a 5 instead of a 4.5 for those super nice 4s.

That said, I should reiterate that I don't know if they are in fact doing this. I just suspect it sometimes.