View Single Post
Old 12-10-2023, 08:43 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealme View Post
I may be in the minority, but I prioritize corners over centering. That being the case, it only makes sense that a high grade card would have phenomenal centering. However, it seems to my that centering should be able to be measured objectively, whereas corners and registration cannot be.
Here's how I tend to look at it. A pack fresh card should in theory be a 10 coming out of the pack, 50/50 centering, with razor sharp corners. With modern production techniques, every single new card should in theory be a 10 (from production) unless made a 9 or 8 or ? by improper handling by the customer.

Vintage cards didn't have the same quality control, so you could have a pack fresh, 70/30 card that has razor sharp corners for the next 50 years because it was handled and stored correctly by the buyer. It'll never be a 10 though because it left the factory in less than perfect condition. Proper centering is a product of production. Sharp corners are a product of customer handling and storage. To me, centering is more important with vintage because it wasn't always a guarantee.