View Single Post
Old 12-11-2023, 01:44 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

If the guy living on the golf course made a mint in the last few years selling Zion refractors, Wander Franco rookie superfractors, and Trevor Lawrence relic cards, I suspect his business model ain't what it used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
It does seem like plenty of other auction houses in potentially bigger markets charge just as much, and sometimes more. So it's hard to imagine that it can realistically be done for a lot less. That's part of the fun with capitalism - if you're overcharging, then you leave yourself open to competitors who will come in and take market share by charging less, and ultimately drive you out of business.

I suspect that operating an AH is harder than it looks. I also suspect that at lower fee levels, the margins to the AH start to look too skinny. And any market share you might pick up by charging less ends up not being worth it.

Of course, the counterpoint to that argument is the video of one of the industry's more outspoken auction operators bragging about the number of zeros in his bank account, and the location of his house on a golf course.