Thread: In the news.
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2024, 11:03 AM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
The Russell 2000 is an index of small public companies. While following the health of smaller companies can be helpful, they are a small part of our overall economy. The total market cap of those 2000 companies together is about the same as Apple's.

I think it makes some sense that there has been a pullback in collectibles because of high interest rates. I know I've been buying bonds, not cards, lately.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
I think you missed my point about skew. Apple is 10% of the nasdaq100. Mag7 is 40% of ndx market cap. So the performance of those stocks drive the index and perception of the health of the market far more than what is really happening underneath in the overall market. So the next time you hear bear market, it’s more likely just mean reversion to the mag7. Russell 2000 is small cap but is more indicative of all sectors, not just tech.

But back to cards as I don’t know anything about the stock market... The site below is interesting.

https://www.cardladder.com/indexes

I haven’t looked into the constituents nor its performance calculations deeply. But while all have been soft, sports cards, particularly vintage cards, have held up fairly well. Yet pokemon shows down 40%. Truth be told, that number looks suspects if you look at the 3 month graph, but still shows Pokémon is an outlier and negative attribution to the collectible trading card market.

So to use Pokémon and nft’s as an indication of a crash in trading cards is not a fair.