View Single Post
Old 01-24-2024, 06:06 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
There is no indisputable facts known for the origination of baseball, just many argued theories. The Doubleday myth was likely created to attempt to create an explanation for an answer no one has ever been able to prove (and to help dispel the belief that Baseball was birthed from an English game called Rounders, the idea that America's game was foreign was not a well liked one).

Many writings have been found dating the playing of the game or a close version to the mid to later 1700's.

I personally prefer to place the strongest organized play to the East Coast areas of New York and Philadelphia. Team information of organized games begins in the early 1800s.

Let's just say they can read 5 well researched books and likely find 5 strong arguments on this.

I would tell him good luck and a better play may be based not on the founding, but rather the arguments on the founding. Just the creation of the Doubleday myth is a very interesting one.

You mean we've been lied to all this time? Doubleday and Cooperstown are a sham?

Lot's of good reading on the topic to refute Doubleday and Cooperstown.

Be nice if Dreker would weigh in on this. Could you imagine if baseball was as popular today as it was 100 years ago? All kinds of teams with organized and unorganized leagues. Companies having teams. Baseball was the game 100 years ago.

Edited to add - when I was a kid I believed the Doubleday/Cooperstown story, but then we all begin to read and find out not everything we hear is true. Kind of like, "don't believe everything you hear on the internet".

Last edited by Fred; 01-24-2024 at 06:08 PM.