View Single Post
Old 02-09-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Agreed. To me this is just the graders being cheap. Also given the grade of plastic they use, I would imagine they haven't found a great way to put the UV coating on and keep it looking decent.

Many of the magnetic cases (UltraPro, ProMold) do have UV protection and that is good, but you can always see at least a light film on the cases and junk sometimes from that if you hold them in a certain light. Again my guess is that PSA, et al. haven't found a way yet to make that suit their budget. The plastic that UltraPro uses is slightly thicker and would seem to be of better quality.
Besides making it a better product, I always thought it would be a good business investment for the grading company. Back when I collected comics, I marveled that you could have a slabbed NM comic that had since suffered significant fading while in the slab. Slabs, and their labeled grades, are effectively advertisements for the grading company, and a faded card should have a matching grade if we want to trust the grading company.
NY Highlanders & Fed League Signatures
....and Japanese Menko Baseball Cards

https://japanesemenkoarchive.blogspot.com/