View Single Post
Old 02-11-2024, 12:22 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Come by table 634 and say hello; I'll be there with a ton of set-building and singles inventory.

I always want to trade. In terms of what to expect, it is all about what you have and what you want. Book value is secondary to demand for the items you are selling. I have significant expenses and I am trying to earn a profit. That means that when it comes to how I assess your cards, what your cards are worth is less critical than how readily they sell. If you have a PSA 9 1987 Fleer Jordan for trade and you want a stack of lesser cards and commons, I will essentially offer you the full retail value as a trade value with my cards because I can turn the Jordan quickly and I have profit baked into the price of my cards. Conversely, if you want a PSA 9 1987 Jordan and you are offering 1970s commons for it, I won't make the deal except at an extreme advantage for me because it will take me a whole lot of time and effort to liquidate the commons and I am giving up a readily sold high demand card. Another factor is how I price examples of your cards. Your card may 'book' at $10 but if it is common and I am already selling three of them at $5 and they aren't moving, my valuation is going to be about fifty cents or a buck at most.
As usual, Adam brings up some really great points, and this seems like what you should expect when approaching dealers who are interested in trades. Obviously, some dealers won’t be interested in a trade, so you can just move along.

You didn’t ask, but I’ll volunteer anyway…On the flip side, I’m not a dealer. But I do hold some cards for trade. Typically it’s obscure and hard to find stuff where I have duplicates, or picked it up not for my own collection but for trade bait, and I’m primarily looking to trade it for other obscure and hard to find stuff that I need to complete my collection. Most everything else can just be bought or sold for cash. But the rare and obscure stuff often requires being willing to give up something equally rare and obscure.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel