View Single Post
Old 02-17-2024, 11:19 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcmandel View Post
For me as a customer, trading cards with other collectors is a big part of the hobby. Also, trading with dealers where it makes sense, and I have done a number of large (6 figure, sometimes) trades at shows with some of my favorite guys with them on the dealer side of the table.

From my perspective a dealer is not generally trading for their own PC, even if they have a PC at all. Many don't collect and just see cards as inventory which if I were them, I'd agree and understand entirely.

Assuming this, the best trades for my dealer friends and for me was an understanding that the trade balance/imbalance comes down to liquidity of the cards I'm offering in trade. Highly liquid cards are often seen as cash equivalents and will obviously trade at nearer to true market value than less liquid product that a dealer will have to haul from show to show for months or more and not allow them to recoup their money.

One dealer in particular, my dear friend Ashish Jain for example once told me that he sees great cards as cash equivalents and that he can make money on those great cards in either a trade up or a trade down scenario at a fair price. Not me gouging him nor him generally gouging me. Fair- a win-win in many ways.

I think trading is both fun and a key part of the card experience, again, it all coming down to the question of liquidity and being the "right cards" for the particular dealer you may be looking to trade with.
I enjoy giving Ashsh 95% of all my business at cards shows. I even worked out a trade with him for a "sought after" dandee Mantle that was on my last nerve. Was in and out of the Burbank show in 45 minutes yesterday with a "Big" Card...and no waiting in line at "Beckett" to get the broken slab reholdered. It was worth the $500 hit. He will sell it in a minute. I also had to throw in a chunk of cash, for an old B & W card with low eye appeal & low pops. The Mantle was a boil on my ass for 3 months like no other card and deal I ever made. It was like an old car that keeps breaking down...couldn't wait to get rid of it.

2nd show in a year (Last Burbank show was my first in 32 years.) Also my first "trade" in 35 years.

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 03-01-2024 at 11:46 AM.